Re: ToDo mode (completed items)

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: ToDo mode (completed items)
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 18:45:37 +0100

Mark Mynsted <mmynsted_news@gbronline.com> writes:

> All I see from the documentation, etc. is that completed items may be
> moved to a file called .todo-done.  While this is good, I do not see a
> way to review, print, or otherwise manipulate these completed items.

Ha!  I think C-x C-f ~/.todo-done RET is where the fun starts.  Or
ends, as the case may be.

Yeah, there should be a way to manipulate the items.

> Is this because there is no mechanism to work with completed items?  I
> do not want to write one if one exists.

Does it mean you want to write one if none exists? ;-)
*drool*

> Also, what todo list "tools" do you use from emacs?

I've heard reports from people using outline-mode.  C-k and C-y are
your friends for manipulating those :-)

Then there is records mode.

Then there is Hyperbole.

Then there is planner.el

Then there is organizer-mode.

Then there is todoo (note the extra o) which is kind of like a
cross-breed between outline mode and todo mode.

> Did Kia create one that worked with Gnus?  (I may have dreamed that...)

Oops.  Caught me...

It's called gnus-todo or todo-gnus I think.  But it was taken and
improved by John Wiegley.  Now it's called nntodo, if I'm not
mistaken.  I think John does not have time to maintain it anymore and
gave it back to me.  And I don't have time, either...

And then there is another alternative called nndiary.

Oh, there is also a package which provides an Rmail-like interface to
things which are like bug reports.  Sounds a lot like todo items, only
without deadlines.  IIRC, it had a way to interface with Rmail, the
thinking was that many such things are based on an email.  Maybe it
was called something with `bugtracker' in its name.

There is also GNATS (don't confuse it with GNAT), now called PRMS
maybe.  It has an Emacs interface which looks somewhat like MH-E.

Isn't it fascinating that there is such a large assortment of modes
and packages that you can use?  Maybe the way people want to interact
with their todo items is very diverse so that's where the many tools
come from.

kai