Re: unexpected Del behaviour after C-d binding

From: Dani Barral
Subject: Re: unexpected Del behaviour after C-d binding
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 15:20:01 +0000

Dani Barral <d.barral@staffs.ac.uk> writes:

Hi,

I'm trying to configure the keyboard of my laptop into something more
confortable for my hands. First I want to rebind some emacs commands
and after I'll exchange some control,alt,... keys in X.

The problem I having with GNU Emacs 21.2.1 is that the behaviour of
the Del key changes after this:

(global-unset-key "\C-d")
(global-set-key "\C-d" 'next-line)

Now everytime I press Del next-line is executed. However C-h Del returns:
<delete> runs the command "^D"
  which is a keyboard macro.

Could anybody what's wrong with those two bindings above?

Nothing. The binding of <delete> assumes a standard
Emacs keymap. You will have to change that mapping as well.
In general, expect to change lots of bindings, and expect changes to
cascade. You will probably have a small maintenance burden when
you are done.

Here is the new binding of <delete>       is there a nicer way to write it?

(define-key global-map [delete] (lambda () (interactive) (delete-backward-char -1)))

Cheers