Re: Loading files at startup (desktop) and revert-buffer leave buffers *

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Loading files at startup (desktop) and revert-buffer leave buffers **.
Date: 27 Nov 2002 15:52:50 +0900

Alan Mackenzie<none@example.invalid> writes:
> I disagree.  Nomatter how a Latin-1 file, say, is decoded into emacs, it
> still hold _exactly_ the same information as was in the file to begin
> with.

Not necessarily.  It's quite common for a buffer's contents to be
different from it's associated file in less subtle ways than character
encoding -- e.g., tar-mode, or hexl-mode, or the various hooks that you
can run before saving or after loading.

> I mean, Emacs is an editor, and editors are for changing files.

That's one thing they're useful for -- but emacs, at least, is used for
many, many, other things.  It's a pretty fundamental part of the emacs
model, I think, that buffers and files are not equivalent.

-Miles
--
[|nurgle|]  ddt- demonic? so quake will have an evil kinda setting? one that
            will  make every christian in the world foamm at the mouth?