Re: Getting anti-aliased fonts in Windows XP

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Getting anti-aliased fonts in Windows XP
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 21:18:17 +0000 (UTC)

Adam <amh@mwr.is> writes:

> Im using Lucida and the fonts are not aliased.
>
> Running Emacs 20.x and using the exact same font gives
> me aliasing.  Id like to run 21.x with AA, anyone know how
> to do this?

You can do this by changing ANTIALIASED_QUALITY on line 5625 of
w32fns.c to DEFAULT_QUALITY and recompile.

However, there is a serious bug in Microsoft's implementation of
subpixel anti-aliasing that shows up as bits of cursor left behind as
you move around your buffers when using some monospaced fonts
(especially on lines containing non Latin-1 characters, or fonts that
did not come with the OS; it seems that MS may have altered the
Latin-1 subsets of the fonts they ship with XP to avoid this bug).

Alternatively the CVS head has a workaround for the bug, but it is
not well tested enough to make it into 21.3, and I have seen some
weirdness with italic fonts.

> If not, is there a way to get the 9x15 font for Windows and use
> it under Emacs?

I think someone has ported this font to Windows. See
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/ for pointers.