editing in emacs by overwriting existing contents

From: Manik Raina
Subject: editing in emacs by overwriting existing contents
Date: 27 Nov 2002 23:21:20 -0800

Hi,

I had a question. Normally when we type into a file using emacs,
we add new characters but the buffer places the new characters
and displaces the old characters to the right.

I've noticed a mode of emacs in which the existing characters are
not shifted to the right but are overwritten. Any clues as to how
we enable that mode and leave it once we're done ?

thanks,
Manik