Re: How do I get emacs to display accented characters?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: How do I get emacs to display accented characters?
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 08:24:03 +0200 (IST)

On 1 Dec 2002, Jay F. Shachter wrote:

> When I use XEmacs, I have no problem.  When the buffer contains, e.g.,
> "Rick's Café Américain", XEmacs displays "Rick's Café Américain".
> Emacs, on the other hand, displays "Rick's Cafe Americain".  Unless
> I do (load-library "iso-ascii"), in which case it displays "Rick's
> Caf{'e} Am{'e}ricain".  Nothing I do has succeeding in getting Emacs
> to display "Rick's Café Américain" like XEmacs does.

Try running Emacs with "emacs -q --no-site-file".  If that solves the
problems you have, there's something in your .emacs or in the site-wide
startup files which does the damage.

> These are the things that I have done, which have had no effect:
>  (set-terminal-coding-system 'iso-latin-1-unix)
>  (setq unibyte-display-via-language-environment t)
>  (set-language-environment 'Latin-1)

There's probably more customizations in your .emacs that produce the
adverse effect.  Something that makes your sessions unibyte, perhaps?