Re: Coping with backup~ file proliferation

From: Kester Clegg
Subject: Re: Coping with backup~ file proliferation
Date: 03 Dec 2002 15:56:34 +0000

Jérôme Marant   <marant.logatique@fr.thalesgroup.com> writes:

[...]

> >I use Emacs for all my text editing, and I like it a lot, but one
> >thing that gets on my nerves is when my directories become littered
> >with backup files (like foo~).  How can I reduce the numbers of calls

[...]

> (setq make-backup-files nil)

Or you can stick files of a type into one place, or put all your backups
in one place:

backup-directory-alist

Documentation:
Alist of filename patterns and backup directory names.
Each element looks like (REGEXP . DIRECTORY).  Backups of files with
names matching REGEXP will be made in DIRECTORY.  DIRECTORY may be
relative or absolute.  If it is absolute, so that all matching files
are backed up into the same directory, the file names in this
directory will be the full name of the file backed up with all
directory separators changed to `!' to prevent clashes.  This will not
work correctly if your filesystem truncates the resulting name.

For the common case of all backups going into one directory, the alist
should contain a single element pairing "." with the appropriate
directory name.

Kester Clegg                            Dept. of Computer Science,
Research Assistant (UTC)                University of York,
Tel (01904) 43 27 49                    email: kester at cs.york.ac.uk