Re: How to protect a buffer from being deleted by accident?

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: How to protect a buffer from being deleted by accident?
Date: 05 Dec 2002 13:58:25 +0000

  Adalbert> Hi there,

  Adalbert> At my site we're using clearcase mode (clearcase.el) for a
  Adalbert> long time with very few problems. Some time ago one of our
  Adalbert> users deleted the buffer "*clearcase*" inadvertently.

  Adalbert> Now I'd like to provide a simple mechanism which disallows
  Adalbert> for deletion of this buffer. I think, it would not be too
  Adalbert> complex to implement this but I don't know any simple
  Adalbert> method to get it done. Maybe there is a posibility to mark
  Adalbert> a specific buffer as "undeletable" or so.

  Adalbert> Any hints are welcome.

There is a kill buffer hook, and also a variable called
"kill-buffer-query-functions". You could put something in there.

So it would go something like

(defun clearcase-query-function()
  (interactive)
  (y-or-n-p "Really kill this buffer"))

(add-hook 'clearcase-mode-hook
          (lambda()
            (interactive)
            (make-local-variable 'kill-buffer-query-functions)
            (add-to-list 'kill-buffer-query-functions
                         'clearcase-query-function)))

I don't have a copy of clearcase.el around, so I don't know if
clearcase-mode-hook is right or not. There should be something similar
though.

Cheers

Phil