Re: Problem with Latex / compile dvi postscript

From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: Problem with Latex / compile dvi postscript
Date: 05 Dec 2002 10:00:07 -0500

>>> if anybody is interested in a patch that allows the usage of pdflatex
>>> and acrobat reader (i.E) really integrated with automatic detection of
>>> the presence of more up-to-date .pdf-files come back to me.
>>
>> Can you get AR to behave the way xdvi does, i.e. reload the new output
>> file automatically when it receives focus, or like xpdf, on hitting 'r'
>> or turning a page?  That would be useful!

It would probably be an afternoon hack if we had the source.
But why bother since we can use gv or xpdf instead.

> But this fails if AR has more than one file open.

AR is not too bad when reading someone else's PDF but when you're
developing your own, its UI sucks rocks.

> Actually, I rather liked it, but now I've gone back to xdvi because
> of source specials and forward/backward search.  I miss the
> nicely-looking anti-aliasing, though.

I've started to like ActiveDVI, especially together with WhyzzyTeX.
It also supports colors.  The only problem is that it didn't support
all the font-tricks of LaTeX last time I tried it.

        Stefan