Re: Coping with backup~ file proliferation

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Coping with backup~ file proliferation
Date: 07 Dec 2002 12:13:05 +0900

ginak <gina02122000@yahoo.com> writes:
> I use Emacs for all my text editing, and I like it a lot, but one
> thing that gets on my nerves is when my directories become littered
> with backup files (like foo~).  How can I reduce the numbers of calls
> to rm *~

I suppose it depends on why it gets on your nerves:  do you dislike
the cluttered appearance of ls/dired output, or are you worried about
disk space etc.?

For me, it's the former -- I rather like having my files backed up as
long as I don't have to see the backups -- so I've just put:

  alias ls="ls -B"

in my .bashrc, and have also added the -B option to emacs'
`dired-listing-switches' variable.

So now I almost never realize the ~ files are there, unless I
specifically look for them!

-Miles
--
o The existentialist, not having a pillow, goes everywhere with the book by
  Sullivan, _I am going to spit on your graves_.