Re: C-i and tab problem persists in 21.2

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: C-i and tab problem persists in 21.2
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 16:01:44 +0100

"Boris H." <nosp@m.de> writes:

> (progn
> (global-set-key [tab] (global-key-binding "\C-i"))
> (global-set-key "\C-i" 'ispell-word))
>
> When I press C-h k C-i, Emacs tells "TAB runs the command lisp-indent-line".

That's because the initial buffer is *scratch* which is in a special
mode.  What happens when you C-x b foo RET to create a new buffer
foo?  This should be in fundamental mode.

If this was it, then you just need to repeat the global-set-key for
C-i for all modes.  For example:

(define-key lisp-interaction-mode-map "\C-i" 'ispell-word)

> The above code with local-set-key does not work either.

It would be local to the wrong buffer, if executed from .emacs, I
guess.

> Also, I still haven't found out how to make the left mouse button act like
> the middle one in the speedbar (without changing buttons globally).

This is a little involved...  Hm.