Re: Software/HD ecology (was Re:...Bug in Emacs 21.3.50)

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Software/HD ecology (was Re:...Bug in Emacs 21.3.50)
Date: 11 Dec 2002 10:58:59 +0900

Ajanta <ajanta@no.spam> writes:
> I didn't get my point across. The problem is not of space but clutter.
> I think it is a matter of overall awareness, and also some discipline
> being imposed by the people who are in-charge.

[My news server doesn't have the original message in this thread, so
 forgive me if I'm misreading your intentions]

Adding a new mechanism to allow optional subsetting simply makes the
software more complicated (more `cluttered,' if you will), for both
programmers and users, and will _certainly_ increase the number of bugs
(because it adds yet another variable to the mix to make testing
harder).  It's far simpler to just always include everything.

Keep in mind that most _users_ don't care at all what's in the various
emacs directories; for them, the best thing to do is to perhaps allow
reducing the options offered by emacs' interface.

-Miles
--
Is it true that nothing can be known?  If so how do we know this?  -Woody Allen