Re: find-dired problems

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: find-dired problems
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 08:24:27 +0200 (IST)

On 12 Dec 2002, Timur Aydin wrote:

>   d:/BCMDEV/:
>   find . \( Makefile \) -exec ls -ld {} \;
>   find: paths must precede expression
>   Usage: find [path...] [expression]
>
>   find exited abnormally with code 1 at Thu Dec 12 00:39:28

I'm guessing that the problem is caused by the shell used by Emacs on
your platform when it runs find-dired.  The above command that invokes
`find' assumes a Unixy shell, and uses \ to quote special characters.  If
Emacs invokes the Windows shell (such as cmd.exe), those backslashes are
left alone and wind up confusing `find' which doesn't expect them.

Try forcing Emacs to invoke the Cygwin port of Bash as the shell, and the
problems might go away.