Re: Software/HD ecology

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Software/HD ecology
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 09:36:23 -0700

Anil Trivedi wrote:

This is not the most deeply probing question, but is /usr/sw simply
your personal preference or is there a good reason for avoiding the
more traditional name /usr/local ? (I am curious because I just started
installing a few programs and have been putting them in /usr/local).

Stick with /usr/local.  We just had some confusion at my site over the fact
that Sun has started to distribute some open source/free software in /opt/sfw.
We decided to make /usr/local a symbolic link to /opt/sfw so that default
GNU etc. configurations would get installed in the same place.