Re: Problem with Reftex - solved

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Problem with Reftex - solved
Date: 16 Dec 2002 14:15:56 +0100

"Jens-Peter Vraa Jensen" <no@no.no> writes:

> > > Is main.tex properly known as a master
> > > document of your chapter to Emacs (that is, will its preamble and
> > > stuff get used when you TeX the document from within your chapter's
> > > buffer?).
> > >

> I just asked a colleague about your last question, and after adding
> %%% Local Variables:
>
> %%% mode: latex
>
> %%% TeX-master: "main"
>
> %%% End:

> Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
>
> Have a happy christmas - you just made mine a bit more comfortable!

Much too complicated.  AUCTeX will fill all that in for you by itself
if you don't refuse reading its documentation (which is even
available from the menus for the people that are not capable of
starting info themselves).

The AUCTeX manual _starts_ _off_ with

AUC TeX
*******

   AUC TeX is an integrated environment for editing LaTeX and TeX files.

   This file documents AUC TeX version 11.

   Although AUC TeX contains a large number of features, there are no
reasons to despair.  You can continue to write TeX and LaTeX documents
the way you are used to, and only start using the multiple features in
small steps.  AUC TeX is not monolithic, each feature described in this
manual is useful by itself, but together they provide an environment
where you will make very few LaTeX errors, and makes it easy to find
the errors that may slip through anyway.

   If you want to make AUC TeX aware of style files and multi-file
documents right away, insert the following in your `.emacs' file.
     (setq TeX-auto-save t)
     (setq TeX-parse-self t)
     (setq-default TeX-master nil)

So there is _hardly_ an excuse for not enabling multi-file documents
properly right from the start.