Re: Software/HD ecology

From: Ajanta
Subject: Re: Software/HD ecology
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 17:34:09 GMT

 Kai Großjohann <kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de> wrote:
> Ajanta <ajanta@no.spam> writes:
>
> > When I run a command like "ls -l file" I can get a lot of information
> > about a file's type, size, ownership, date created/modified. Whether
> > that qualifies as a "log" to somebody or not is a rather dull semantic
> > issue. The system does store and update information on files.
>
> The "ownership" does NOT tell you whether the file belongs to Emacs or
> to another program.  (At least, not in general.)
> So you need something in addition to the "log" that comes standard
> with Unix.

Yes I do understand that this does not come standard with unix. The
discussion was about the desirability for it to be so. There was a
suggestion that an extention of ls would be a logical choice; the
system would of course have to log/record some extra information in
addition to what it already does . However, some people felt this was a
good opportunity to start arguing over the word "log".