Re: Software/HD ecology

From: David Masterson
Subject: Re: Software/HD ecology
Date: 17 Dec 2002 14:33:44 -0800

> Ajanta <ajanta@no.spam> wrote:

>> To have package managers which work on only one or two sub-flavors

> Sub-flavors of what?  Unix?  Well these tools are free, so adapt
> them to your flavor.

That's not a solution.  For instance, if a package does not come in
RPM form, then the RPM package manager is not a solution for me.  Are
you expecting all packages to distribute in a form that is compatible
to all package managers so that they can be managed on all systems?

GNU tools generally are not distributed with any package manager in
mind.  They have "make install" and some have "make uninstall" as the
replacement for a package manager.  MS-Windows actually has this issue
well handled.  They have one package manager (although there is
probably version issues) and every package (supposedly) installs the
necessary information for uninstalling itself via the package manager.
All that is needed in the GNU tools (like Emacs) is a "make install"
that also installs an uninstaller.

--
David Masterson                David DOT Masterson AT synopsys DOT com
Sr. R&D Engineer               Synopsys, Inc.