Re: displaying latin1 in emacs 21 in _any_ terminal window

From: Hugo Wolf
Subject: Re: displaying latin1 in emacs 21 in _any_ terminal window
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 12:03:02 GMT

In article <pb.m21y3ot4qx.fsf@ID-42241.news.dfncis.de>, Hans-Peter
Binder wrote:
> (set-keyboard-coding-system 'iso-8859-1)

Makes no difference - special latin1 chars still display as '?'.  Note
that the problem I'm trying to solve here is display, not entry.  I
can enter latin1 chars fine, I just can't see them properly.

>       (set-language-environment 'German)

I tried this too, although I wouldn't want it in general.  It made no
difference.

>       (set-frame-font "fontset-mac")

Likewise, makes no difference.  I wouldn't expect the 'frame-font' to
make any difference when running -nw.  All latin1 character above
octal 240 still display as '?'.

Let me summarize again and correct something I said earlier:

- These characters display fine in xemacs running in a Terminal or
  xterm or rxvt.

- These characters display fine in gnu emacs running in a Carbon/Aqua
  window.

- These characters display fine in any emacs running as an X11 client.

- These characters display fine in a Terminal or xterm or rxvt if
  simply cat a file.

- These characters display as '?' when running gnu emacs (21.1, 21.2
  or 21.3) in a Terminal or an xterm or an rxvt.  Earlier I said that
  it worked when running gnu emacs in an xterm.  After double-checking
  that, I see that I was mistaken.  So nothing about this problem is
  specific to the osx Terminal application.  The display is wrong in
  when running gnu emacs in _any_ kind of terminal.

Any other suggestions?