Re: Buffer Positioning

From: Klaus Berndl
Subject: Re: Buffer Positioning
Date: 11 Jan 2003 11:32:15 +0100

On Sat, 11 Jan 2003, Jesper Harder wrote:

>  "CarlC" <carlc@snowbd.com> writes:
>
> > I have a couple of minor issues that I am having trouble finding help
> > on.
>
>  See the section "Scrolling" in the manual for more details about
>  changing scrolling behaviour.
>
> > 1) How can I get PgUp and PgDn to finally stop at the first/last line
> > of the buffer? They work just fine while in the middle of the
> > buffer. I would just like to have them do one more position if already
> > displaying the beginning/end.
>
>  I don't know, but you can use `C-home' or `M-<' to go to the beginning
>  of the buffer, and `C-end' or `M->' to go to the end.
>
> > 2) How can I get arrow up/down to scroll the buffer by one line? If my
> > cursor is on the last line of the window, I want a down arrow to
> > remain at the bottom of the window (on the next line of the buffer).
>
>    (setq scroll-conservatively 1)

IMHO this has to be (setq scroll-conservatively 1000). IMHO setting the
scroll-settings right for a users wishes in one of the most difficult tasks -
docu is somehow unclear.....

In one posting i get the hint setting scroll-conservatively to a large value
to get scroll-steps of exactly one line - i tried it and it works!

With a value of 1 there are sometimes (can not say exactly under which
circumstances) jumps where point is centered if you press down-arrow for
example continuously to scroll smoothly downwards.

OK, set it to a value about 1000 and scrolling is really smoothly be one
line!!

Klaus

--
Klaus Berndl                    mailto: klaus.berndl@sdm.de