emacs and X problem

From: Bruce Park
Subject: emacs and X problem
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 00:20:15 -0500

Hello emacs users,

I really need to solve this since it's a real annoying bug. Before I start describing the problem, I'd like to state that I'm running emacs under debian3.0(stable). When I use emacs(emacs20-7), the window and the fonts are distorted at times. After running some tests, I have figured out that this will occur only after launching applications that use X. Some examples are launching gkrellm and a java applet.

Normal pic:
http://rplaca.cs.qc.edu/~bpark/normal.jpg

Bug pic:
http://rplaca.cs.qc.edu/~bpark/weird.jpg

I haven't done anything to tweak X except for installing ttf and removing xfonts100-dpi. Would reinstalling X solve this problem? If so, what specific package(s) do I need to reinstall?
Any help or suggestion is very much appreciated.

bp