Re: accessing own info files

From: Michael Below
Subject: Re: accessing own info files
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 23:10:22 +0100

Benjamin Riefenstahl <Benjamin.Riefenstahl@epost.de> writes:

> The easiest (for me) is just to create "dir" files from a command-line
> with install-info:
>
>   $ install-info /usr/info/as.info /tmp/dir
>
> on my machine will create a dir file in /tmp with a link to the GNU
> assembler.
>
> The command install-info is documented in the texinfo documentation in
> the node (texinfo)Invoking install-info.

Hmmm... I am a Debian user, which is generally a good thing, but in
this case it makes things less easy: Debian has got an own version of
install-info, coming with dpkg.

Now I tried:
~ $/usr/sbin/install-info --infodir=temp elisp/info/gnus
* Gnus: (gnus).            The newsreader Gnus.
install-info: failed to lock dir for editing! Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht
gefunden
~ $/usr/sbin/install-info --infodir=/home/mbelow/temp elisp/info/gnus
* Gnus: (gnus).            The newsreader Gnus.
install-info: failed to lock dir for editing! Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht
gefunden
~ $touch temp/dir
~ $/usr/sbin/install-info --infodir=/home/mbelow/temp elisp/info/gnus
* Gnus: (gnus).            The newsreader Gnus.

(Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden means "file or directory not
found" in english)... I made a "dir" file using touch, and now
install-info did run for minutes with very high load, it looks like it
expected something else from the dir file. Adding an entry to my
experimental dir file worked smoothly, but it didn't make it more
readable for info...

Should I file a bug report against the Debian install-info? Should I
reinstall texinfo from sources? Or is there an easier solution?

Michael
--
Der hohe Anteil an Dienstreisen fällt auf.
                        Niklas Luhmann, Die Weltgesellschaft, ARSP 1971, 8