Re: Problem with X window frames

From: Greg Hill
Subject: Re: Problem with X window frames
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 10:37:56 -0800

There is a chance this could be due to your window manager. I've found
some window managers will over-ride what emacs is trying to do. For
example, for ages everytime I opened speedbar, the frame would be
exactly the same size as my normal frame, despite the speedbar frame
attributes being set to create a narrow high frame. I eventually
worked out this was due to my window manager.

If your window manager has some setting like "click to focus" or
"click to raise and focus" its possible this is over-riding what emacs
itself is trying to do.

Tim

Tim,

Thanks, you're right. I am using a program called eXodus on a MAC as my terminal to the Unix machine on which I am running Emacs. It never occurred to me that it might be a problem with my eXodus configuration, but that is what it was. Under Server Settings, Rootless Options, there is checkbox for "Allow Client to Change Window Stacking." Selecting that solved my problem with raising and lowering frames.

Now if I can just figure out how to get "focus-follows-mouse" to work. Does anyone happen to know the trick for that? Once again, besides using eXodus on a MAC as my terminal, my platform is seem by Emacs as:

system-configuration
"sparc-sun-solaris2.7"

system-type
usg-unix-v