Re: Emacs regexp/incrementer question

From: Tim Morley (remove vegetable for email address)
Subject: Re: Emacs regexp/incrementer question
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 10:01:59 +0100

Hi Friedrich.

I'm no lisp hacker at all, so thanks very much for the copy-and-paste
solution. Unfortunately I'm having trouble persuading it to work on my
machine. (Win2K, GNU Emacs 20.3.1)

I even copyied-and-pasted the example from your post to be sure  :o),  did a
M-x replace-with-changing-replacement, and entered the pattern and the
replacement. On finding the first 'foo' though, the function stopped with
the error : "Symbol's function definition is void: incf". As I said, I don't
know lisp at all -- is it just a typo? If not, do you have a suggestion as
to how I might resolve this?

Thanks in advance.

Tim

message news: 87smvtjnlb.fsf@fbigm.here...
<tim@teamlog.turnip.com> writes:

> > Hi all.
> >
> > Does anybody know of a way to include an incrementing number in a regexp
> > search-and-replace in Emacs? What I want to do is search for a regexp,
and
> > the first time I find it, replace it with "case 1", the second time
replace
> > it with "case 2", etc.
> >
> > Even if the solution is a several-stager, I'd be more than happy,
because
> > I'm currently having to replace each occurrence with "case xxx" and then
> > change each "xxx" to a number by hand afterwards -- hardly ideal. I
could
> > use awk or something to change the xxx's to incrementing numbers, but
I'd