multilingual text in frame

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: multilingual text in frame
Date: 17 Jan 2003 14:06:52 +0000

So I had this great idea.

I thought what I would do is write some code that would display
phrases, and translations in two languages in the frame title of my
main emacs window. This I figured, over the weeks, would drip feed the
knowledge into my brain, thus enabling me to learn a new language.

Now, Emacs being as wonderful as it is, I can, of course, easily
compose multilingual texts, which I have duly done.

But here I am stymied. Although Emacs can display text such as "?Qui
es esto?" in the buffer fine, it has a much harder time in the frame,
and appears to chop everything off, after the strange character.

So, two questions

1) Is it possible to do mule like things in the frame title?
2) if it is not, can I remove accented letters from a string, replacing
   them with their non accented equivalent, and strip strange
   punctuation marks altogether. This will enable me to keep a library
   of correctly accented phrases for display in the mini-buffer, and
   still have them display on the frame.

It would be sad for me, having gone to all the effort of reading the
documentation on how to input non ASCII characters, to not use them!

Cheers

Phil