Re: return and enter keys in emacs 21.3 on MacOSX 10.2

From: Tiago Henriques
Subject: Re: return and enter keys in emacs 21.3 on MacOSX 10.2
Date: 17 Jan 2003 07:19:59 -0800

> It seems that the return key is unassigned. How can I assign it to run
> the command newline, similarly to the keypad-enter key?

I added the following line to my .emacs file:

(global-set-key [return] 'newline)

and now I can use the main keyboard's <return> key as normal when
typing in a standard buffer. However, when I use the mini-buffer (e.g.
when visiting a file with C-x C-f) it doesn't seem to work, while both
C-m amd <keypad enter> do work.

It seems that instead of assigning the command "newline" to the return
key I need to translate <return> to RET, as emacs is apparently
already doing with <keypad enter>:

C-h c <keypad enter>:
RET (translated from <kp-enter>) runs the comand newline

How can I do this translation?