Re: Use wiki from Emacs?

From: David Masterson
Subject: Re: Use wiki from Emacs?
Date: 17 Jan 2003 10:26:48 -0800

> Suppose we wanted to set up a wiki on our server.  Suppose that some
> of us are Emacs users.  Is there a wiki that's easy to use from
> Emacs?

I believe there are several Wiki modes for Emacs.  The main problem (I
think) is that there are multiple types of Wikis around and, so, there
might be a standards problem.

> (IIUC, the wiki mode in Emacs is not server based.  You edit files
> and then publish them.  But there is no way for fetching the files to
> edit from the server.  Maybe I'm wrong.)

John Wiegley may have an add-on (httpd-serve?) to his emacs-wiki.el
mode for this.  There may be other ways as well.

> PS: Actually, I don't quite understand all this web craziness.  Why
>     not just put some files in a CVS repository?  That's not more
>     difficult to access than web, once you have a working directory.
>     And you always have a local copy.  Gah :-(  </rant>

See the features list at twiki.org.  You should also look at
emacswiki.org.

--
David Masterson                David DOT Masterson AT synopsys DOT com
Sr. R&D Engineer               Synopsys, Inc.