Re: How make Emacs start with BIGGER xterm??? Can I set width and heigh

From: Christopher J. White
Subject: Re: How make Emacs start with BIGGER xterm??? Can I set width and height??
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 08:43:23 -0500

>>>>> "cs" == Christian Seberino <seberino@spawar.navy.mil> writes:

cs> I usually like a bigger xterm when I launch Emacs and was wondering
cs> if I could put something in .emacs to avoid having to set size
cs> with the mouse all the time.

I'm going to assume you mean starting an emacs session that
opens it's own window which is not really in an xterm.
Ie., running a version of emacs with X11 support.

As someone else alluded to, you can put geometry info
in the default-frame-alist, this controls the creation of
new frames as well:

(setq default-frame-alist `((width . 80) (height . 50)))

You might also need to set initial-frame-alist to the same
to control the first emacs frame:

(setq initial -frame-alist `((width . 80) (height . 50)))

I don't need to do this in  my configuration, but I can't
remember why (been using this .emacs for a long time....)

...cj

 Christopher J. White                                    chris@grierwhite.com