Re: How to get rid of the tool bar

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: How to get rid of the tool bar
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 07:47:56 +0100

Zaphod Beeblebrox <kagyukid@despam.yahoo.com> writes:

> THAT's what is meant by 'more'.  I didn't think of it as more matches
> but rather more of the stuff we'd been looking at. .. DUH.

Do you think it should say `press comma for next match' instead?
Though that might make the line too long in some cases.  Hm.

>> So, M-x auto-fill-mode RET turns on (or off) auto fill mode.  So what is
>> the command for turning on (or off) tool-bar mode?
>
> and by extension, what do I put in the .emacs file?  Quite clear now
> how Christopher White's suggestion works.

I don't know what Christopher said, but the following turns on
auto-fill in all text-like modes:

(add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)

I wish this was customizable.  Hm.

> I greatly appreciate your taking the time to point me in a more
> sensible direction.  Delving into Emacs to me is a bit like looking at
> the wires at the back of the control panel in a large aircraft.
> There's no way I'll come to grips with all the things going on.  Emacs
> is only my means to using the software I use every day which itself
> takes a large effort to keep up with to a usable extent.  There's also
> the need to spend quite some time reconfiguring each time there's a
> new version of Linux.  Lots of new ideas aren't backward compatible
> with earlier versions that I'd got used to, so it doesn't leave much
> time to get into the amazing things Emacs itself is capable of.

Yes, I understand.  Hm.  It's hard to explain, but it seems to me
that after a while, one sees how the Emacs maintainers think and from
then on it's much easier to find new stuff in Emacs.  So I keep
trying to give some examples to show what Emacs is like, hoping that
this will help beyond the concrete example that I'm giving.

For example, I searched for "tool" because it's not clear whether it
should be tool-bar or tool bar or toolbar.
--
Ambibibentists unite!