Re: Reading portions of large files

From: Benjamin Riefenstahl
Subject: Re: Reading portions of large files
Date: 20 Jan 2003 13:46:53 +0100

Hi,

Lee Sau Dan <danlee@informatik.uni-freiburg.de> writes:
> (b)  is assumed even  if you  use other  method.

With something like the dd method I don't ever have to copy the whole
file.  Makes a difference when your file is a CD image of 600 MB and
all you want to do is patch the partition table.

> Time?  It doesn't take much time to 'split' and 'cat'.

It takes several minutes on my machine with the mentioned file.

> Why not 'split'?

I didn't think of that one before.  But it also copies the whole
file.

> There are hex editors which doesn't need to load the whole file into
> memory.

I'm not aware of a commonly used hex editor on Unix.  Do you have a
recommendation?

so long, benny