Re: multilingual text in frame

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: multilingual text in frame
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 21:34:35 +0300

> Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 17:44:20 +0200
> From: "Ehud Karni" <ehud@unix.mvs.co.il>
>
> I defined a function `multibyte-string-to-unibyte', it converts each
> character in the input string by using `multibyte-char-to-unibyte'.
> I think it should be a built-in (C) function.

Why didn't you simply use encode-coding-string?  It _is_ a built-in
primitive.

(IMHO, one should stay away of the multibyte <-> unibyte conversion
functions such as multibyte-char-to-unibyte, since the decisions they
make about how to encode/decode characters are very complex and hard
to explain and remember.  By contrast, explicit encoding functions let
you specify the encoding, so you are the boss ;-)