Re: Scroll two buffers in unison

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Scroll two buffers in unison
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 08:12:52 +0200 (IST)

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003, Harry Putnam wrote:

> Once again I've overlooked your often repeated sound advice to make
> use of index search as a main method.  I tried everthing but the
> kitchen sink instead.  Maybe I'll think of it first next time.
>
> In fact, one thing I tried actually found it (M-x apropos) but I still
> managed to overlook it in the 240 line list dredged up with `scroll'
> as regex.

The index search is IMHO more powerful than apropos, because the latter
searches more-or-less arbitrary text (the doc strings), while the former
searches index entries which were crafted specifically to be useful for
finding the topic they point to.

So I recommend to try `i' first, even before apropos.  The only
exception to this rule is when you almost know the exact name of the
function/variable--in that case, apropos will usually have a higher
success rate.