Re: multilingual text in frame

From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: multilingual text in frame
Date: 21 Jan 2003 12:57:09 -0500

>> I defined a function `multibyte-string-to-unibyte', it converts each
>> character in the input string by using `multibyte-char-to-unibyte'.
>> I think it should be a built-in (C) function.

I think that multibyte-char-to-unibyte and its friends like
string-make-unibyte should be avoided as much as possible.
In most cases, they're only used because the author doesn't really
understand what he's doing (I don't know if that's the case here,
because I only saw Kenichi's reply but not the original post).

Better use something like (encode-coding-string str locale-coding-system)
so it's clear which coding-system is being used.

        Stefan