Re: Redhat 8 and init.el

From: Jesper Harder
Subject: Re: Redhat 8 and init.el
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 19:41:35 +0100

fatkiddown@hotmail.com (Mel) writes:

> I'm trying to utilize the advice in this post:
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=pan.2002.09.14.20.48.16.446325.24107%40polybus.com&rnum=3
>
> In order to strip unwanted characters from text files.  It states the
> following: "Use Xemacs. In your .xemacs/init.el file add the
> following...."

IMHO that solution is needlesly complicated -- it isn't necessary at
all.

Just open the file with DOS line endings (CR/LF) -- Emacs will recognize
that and display "(DOS)" in the mode-line.  Now, if you want to save it
with Unix line endings do `C-x RET f iso-latin-1-unix'.

[NB: Please don't post identical questions to comp.emacs and
gnu.emacs.help separately.  Cross post instead.]