Re: Another word for "path"?

From: David Masterson
Subject: Re: Another word for "path"?
Date: 22 Jan 2003 10:37:25 -0800

>>>>> Barry Margolin writes:

> In article <84u1g2cu7k.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>,
> Kai Großjohann <kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de> wrote:
>> Pascal Bourguignon <pjb@informatimago.com> writes:

>>> Whatever... Where have you seen 'path' defined this way?

>> GNU coding standards.  Since Tramp is a GNU program (or part of it,
>> anyway), it's a good idea to adhere to this document :-)

> Unix has always referred to something like /foo/bar/baz as a
> pathname.

I thought it always referred to as "filename".  I think the term
"pathname" became more prevalent after $PATH came into being (so it
does go back a *long* way).

> I've always understood a list of directories like in $PATH to be
> called a "search path", to distinguish it from a "file path".

Didn't VMS have a "file path" type concept that was more akin to $PATH
such that you could say "$PATH:file" and it would search the PATH for
a "file"?  Maybe it was also a concept in TOPS-20/10, but that's too
far back for me to remember clearly.

--
David Masterson                David DOT Masterson AT synopsys DOT com
Sr. R&D Engineer               Synopsys, Inc.