Re: pcl-cvs help

From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: pcl-cvs help
Date: 23 Jan 2003 18:01:29 -0500

> I'm having all sorts of problems getting pcl-cvs to correctly parse CVS
> output. Generally, it works, but often it will have parse errors when doing
> cvs-status. VC directory works fine on the same directory.

Can you edit the file .../lisp/pcvs.el and change the line

               (process-connection-type nil) ; Use a pipe, not a pty.
into
               ;; If process-connection-type is nil and the repository
               ;; is accessed via SSH, a bad interaction between libc,
               ;; CVS and SSH can lead to garbled output.
               ;; It might be a glibc-specific problem.
               ;; Until the problem is cleared, we'll use a pty rather than
               ;; a pipe.
               ;; (process-connection-type nil) ; Use a pipe, not a pty.

and then byte-compile the file and finally see if it helps ?
This applies to both the Emacs-21 code and the 2.9.9 version as well.

> In addition, I can't seem to figure out which version of pcl-cvs comes with
> emacs 21.  There isn't a function or variable that I can find or even a
> comment in the source code that assigns a version to the package.

PCL-CVS' home is now Emacs.  I.e. you now have PCL-CVS version 21.2 ;-)
It's more recent than 2.9.9 and, as a matter of fact, it's the latest
released version.  The very latest version is the one in the CVS trunk
of Emacs (and it has the workaround shown above).

> I've downloaded Stefan Monnier's 2.9.9 version and that's better, but it
> still has problems. Is there a developement version out there that's
> better? Here's what I using:

As mentioned, the development version can be gotten from
http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/emacs

>    GNU Emacs 21.2.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin, X toolkit)
>    cvs version 1.10

I've never heard of the problem you're talking about on your platform, so
maybe your problem is a different one (the fix suggested above has only been
needed until for systems using GNU libc).  Are you accessing the repository
via SSH ?  If the fix above solves your problem, please tell me so I will
know that the problem is not specific to glibc contrary to my
current impression.

        Stefan