universal backup directory

From: john doe
Subject: universal backup directory
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 07:43:48 -0800 (PST)

I have the following entry in my dotfile:

;; MAKE ALL BACKUPS TO A SINGLE DIRECTORY
(setq backup-directory-alist `(("." .
,(file-name-nondirectory "~/.emacs_backups"))))

This will make backups in the current directory to a
dir called .emacs_backups -- however, is there a way
to make one universal backup directory that all emacs
files go to regardless of where they are saved?

Thanks!