Re: eshell and jobs

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: eshell and jobs
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 16:52:01 +0100

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

A code explanation was requested.  I basically copied from
eshell/make, so I don't fully grok it.  Here comes what I know:

> (defun eshell/ec (&rest args)

If you type "foo" at an eshell prompt, eshell will look for the Lisp
function eshell/foo first thing and run that if it exists.

>   "Use `compile' to do background makes."
>   (if (eshell-interactive-output-p)

It seems the `then' branch here is what is normally invoked.  I have
no idea what the `else' branch does.  John, are you listening?

>       (let ((compilation-process-setup-function
>            (list 'lambda nil
>                  (list 'setq 'process-environment
>                        (list 'quote (eshell-copy-environment))))))

This copies the current environment so that `compile' will pick it up.

>       (compile (eshell-flatten-and-stringify args))

To see what compile does, type M-x compile RET and enter some shell
command.  The eshell-flatten-and-stringify just takes the rest of the
command line args and munges them until they are what `compile'
expects.  (I think `compile' expects just a single string, so I guess
that eshell-flatten-and-stringify concats all args, separated with
spaces.)

>         (pop-to-buffer compilation-last-buffer))

Make sure to display the *compilation* buffer.

>     (throw 'eshell-replace-command
>            (let ((l (eshell-stringify-list (eshell-flatten-list args))))
>              (eshell-parse-command (car l) (cdr l))))))

Can anyone explain what this might mean?

> (put 'eshell/ec 'eshell-no-numeric-conversions t)

It seems that eshell can recognize numbers and do something with
them.  But what?
--
Ambibibentists unite!