Re: eshell and jobs

From: Romain FRANCOISE
Subject: Re: eshell and jobs
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 17:20:08 +0100

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> It seems the `then' branch here is what is normally invoked.  I have
> no idea what the `else' branch does.

It's for cases when we're not supposed to output something on the
command line, e.g. when called for a file redirection, or something.  Or
in eshell scripts.  Or when called non-interactively, or by another
function.  John will know better.  :)

Anyway, what it does in eshell/make is to tell Eshell to use the real
make ("*make") instead of the Emacs compile interface in such cases.

>> (throw 'eshell-replace-command
>> (let ((l (eshell-stringify-list (eshell-flatten-list args))))
>> (eshell-parse-command (car l) (cdr l))))))

> Can anyone explain what this might mean?

If not called with output focus, just return the command, separating the
command itself from its arguments.  Not sure if it really works though.
 :)

>> (put 'eshell/ec 'eshell-no-numeric-conversions t)

> It seems that eshell can recognize numbers and do something with
> them.  But what?

If Eshell recognizes numbers in the argument list, it passes them as
numbers to Lisp functions (not as strings).

,----
| From esh-util.el:
|
| NOTE: If you find that numeric conversions are intefering with the
| specification of filenames (for example, in calling `find-file', or
| some other Lisp function that deals with files, not numbers), add the
| following in your .emacs file:
|
|   (put 'find-file 'eshell-no-numeric-conversions t)
|
| Any function with the property `eshell-no-numeric-conversions' set to
| a non-nil value, will be passed strings, not numbers, even when an
| argument matches `eshell-number-regexp'."
`----

The usual No Expert(tm) disclaimer applies, of course.

--
Romain FRANCOISE <romain@orebokech.com> | There are doors that let you
it's a miracle -- http://orebokech.com/ | in.