Re: Tab doesn't work in emacs

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Tab doesn't work in emacs
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 14:46:28 -0500

Original Message:
-----------------
From: Barry Margolin barmar@genuity.net
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 18:53:38 GMT
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

In article <mailman.1201.1043948624.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
the_tick@brok3n.org <the_tick@brok3n.org> wrote:
>Type
>       C-h c TAB
>
>and tell us what you get.  It might be that the TAB key is mapped
>to a function other than a primitive tab.
>

>Heh, I'm not quite sure how to do C-h c TAB, I only know how to save and

You type Control-h followed by c followed by TAB.  This will display what
character the TAB key sends, and what command is executed as a result.

There is nothing there..
>close emacs. But I did figure out what Kai was talking about earlier. When
>I edit a .cpp, .dll, or any file without an extension, tab works fine. When
>it's a .c or .m file, no tab key functionality. How would I go about
>changing it so that tab would work in all files?

In most of the modes for editing programming language files, TAB is
assigned to a function to indent the current line correctly.  If it doesn't
seem to be doing anything, it's because the line is already indented
correctly.

If you want to insert a literal TAB character in the file, type C-q TAB
(that's Control-q followed by the TAB key).

Ok, so that worked.. how to I set that up in my .emacs file, or globally?

>Heh, it's my laptop, so the only other person using it would be my wife..
>and she likes vi :)

If there's only one Emacs user, why would you need your .emacs file to be
global?

Well, I have a bob user for messing with stuff without breaking my home
directory, then I have my chris user, for normal usage, and I have root..
--
Barry Margolin, barmar@genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA