Re: Emacs 21.2, smtpmail, and vm

From: Chris Hall
Subject: Re: Emacs 21.2, smtpmail, and vm
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 06:45:10 GMT

On Mon, 03 Feb 2003 11:30:34 +0100
Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> wrote:

> Chris Hall <hall.cj@verizon.net> writes:
>
> > If I set smtpmail-auth-credentials as specified in the smtpmail
> > preface comments, '("smtp hostname" 25 "username" "passord")'
> > smtpmail-try-auth-methods won't find *any* credentials, and
> > immediately sends 'MAIL FROM:' to my ISP, which then says
> > 'authorization required', and closes the connection.
>
> What does C-h v on the variable tell?  The setting you quote seem
> incorrect.  If you are unsure about what the variable should contain,
> I suggest using M-x customize-variable RET smtpmail-auth-credentials
> RET.

(setq smtpmail-auth-credentials  ; or use ~/.authinfo
      '(("~/.netrc")))
       ("outgoing.verizon.net" 25 "username" "password"))

> > If I set credentials to a .netrc file (!) (after of course returning
> > to CVS, getting a copy of netrc.el and putting it in my load-path),
> > I get prompted for a password, even though it is already in .netrc,
> > and authentication proceeds - the smtp trace buffer shows the base64
> > exchange between vm and my ISP.
>
> What did the .netrc line look like?  Maybe you need to add "port
> smtp".

machine outgoing.verizon.net
        port smtp  <-- After I read your message. Is this the right place?
        login username
        password password

> > smtpmail then blows off with an argument mismatch somewhere in
> > smtpmail-try-auth-methods : 'smtpmail-try-auth-methods: Wrong type
> > argument : stringp, nil'.
>
> M-x toggle-debug-on-error RET to get the full backtrace.
>
> > And Simon, if you read this, I tried the patched version from your
> > website: it didn't seem to support AUTH LOGIN, only AUTH CRAM-MD5,
> > though the CVS version I'm using now does.
>
> The web site version is for older emacsen, it is always better to try
> with the CVS version if you are interested in reporting your findings.

Thanks!  I can see you've been busy with it!

I haven't used the newsgroups much, but since I use free software so
much, I thought I'd try and save someone else some time, or at least
find out what I did wrong.  And I thought that since the code in CVS was
under development, that it would be OK to mention what I discovered.

I'm glad you are taking the time to implement this!

--
"No nation can preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare."
-- James Madison, Secretary of State to Mr. Jefferson, and 4th President