newbie question about truncating lines - what to put in my .emacs file?

From: Ted Sung
Subject: newbie question about truncating lines - what to put in my .emacs file?
Date: 5 Feb 2003 08:34:05 -0800

I'm running emacs 21.2.1 on W2K.  I frequently load in files
which have long lines and I don't want them to wrap.  So under
the Options menu, I select "Truncate long lines in this buffer".
That works well but I would like to truncate long lines in every buffer I load.

I also want to set the word wrap in text modes to be on.

How can I do that in my .emacs file?

Thanks,

Ted