Re: using emacs/efs with@ in username

From: Puff Addison
Subject: Re: using emacs/efs with@ in username
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 08:28:11 +0000

andrew dunn wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, but thats not really the issue. The problem I'm
having is loading files from a remote server. Usually if I load a file
from a remote FTP server in XEmacs the username is something like
"username" and the domain will be "domain.com".

To request this file in XEmacs I'd load it as:
/username@domain.com:/nameofthefile.html

Now, the problem comes when the FTP username isn't just "username" but
instead something like "username@domain.com". This means when logging
into the server via normal FTP I enter "username@domain.com" for the
username.

So whenever I want to load this file in XEmacs I'd load it as:
/username@domain.com@domain.com:/nameofile.html

This equates to the required format of:
/USERNAME@DOMAIN:/FILE

But if the username contains an "@" symbol then I get an error:
"Wrong type argument: stringp, nil"

Thats pretty much as I'd expect because there are now two "@" symbols in
the line, and emacs doesn't know which part is the username and which is
the server.

Ive tried using:
/username\@domain.com@domain.com:/nameoffile.html

But that doesn't work either.

Do you see what I mean ? Do you have any further suggestions ?

Thanks alot,

Andrew.

Try

/username\\@domain.com@domain.com:/nameoffile.html

i.e a double back slash. This ensures that the @ is still escaped after the
input has been read.

This  is a common problem. \ may be parsed an removed before one expects.

--
J. D. Addison
email puff@theaddisons.demon.co.uk