Re: What's wrong with value?

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: What's wrong with value?
Date: 06 Feb 2003 21:44:38 +0100

Greg Hill <ghill@synergymicro.com> writes:

> Pascal,
>
> For whatever it's worth...
>
> I just pasted the code from your email into the scratch buffer in both
> Emacs-20 and Emacs-21, executed the defun of show, then
>
> (setq value :toto)
> (show value)
>
> and got
>
> ==> :toto

If  you used  eval-region, ok,  I  too get  :toto.  But  with C-x  C-e
(ie. eval-last-sexp),  it's the value  in the let  of eval-last-sexp-1
that gets setq'ed, and it's that same value in that let that is passed
to my show function.

Since eval-region is a built-in, it should not shade any lisp variable
I  guess.    Perhaps  eval-last-sexp-1  should   be  implemented  with
eval-region avoiding any variables.

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__                   http://www.informatimago.com/
There is a fault in reality. Do not adjust your minds. -- Salman Rushdie