New frame position (FSF Emacs on Windows)

From: Paul Moore
Subject: New frame position (FSF Emacs on Windows)
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 20:37:43 +0000

I currently use XEmacs 21.5.10 on Windows (2000 and XP), mainly for
news/mail via Gnus and occasionally for general editing tasks. I'm
considering switching over to FSF Emacs 21.2.1, mainly because it seems to
start up enormously faster. (Is this generally true, or is it just me?
If it is true, what causes the difference?)

Anyway, one annoying feature in FSF Emacs is that when I open a new
frame (for example, with C-X 5 f) it appears in *exactly* the same
position on screen as the current frame. It therefore looks like I
didn't open a new frame!

This behaviour does not happen in XEmacs, where new frames are created
slightly offset from the current frame's present location (using what
looks like the standard Windows algorithm, which works pretty well...)

I've searched the documentation, and the Emacs Wiki, and I haven't
found a way of getting FSF Emacs to work the same (new frame offset
from the previous). The variable default-frame-alist seems to be the
main method of control, but that only lets me set a fixed position -
precisely the opposite of what I want!

The behaviour seems to be built into the core code, as what I describe
is what happens on systems with no special customisation.

How can I get the frame creation behaviour I want from FSF Emacs?

Thanks,
Paul.

PS I'm happy to write elisp code if I need to - that doesn't worry
   me. However, I don't know the algorithm for Windows' placement
   behaviour - I just know that it looks good to me. So I need more
   than just a description of how to make the location
   change. Sorry...
--
This signature intentionally left blank