Re: build: Maximum buffer size exceeded

From: Daniel Pfeiffer
Subject: Re: build: Maximum buffer size exceeded
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 13:46:18 +0100

"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@is.elta.co.il> skribis:
> > From: Daniel Pfeiffer <occitan@esperanto.org>
> > When I think back I've never built Emacs with gcc 3.2 and no longer have
> > 2.95.  I'm trying to build CVS (and meanwhile also 21.2) with gcc 3.2, glibc
> > 2.2.5, Linux Kernel 2.4.19 (SuSE 8.1):
> > Maximum buffer size exceeded
> > make[1]: *** [bootstrap-emacs] Fehler 255

> First, please note that reporting failures to build here is not
> recommended: you should either report them on bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Doesn't seem to be working currently.  I recently got two mails back with:
host mx10.gnu.org [199.232.76.166]: 550 Invalid address in message header

> (for released versions of Emacs), or to emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org (for
> CVS and pretest versions).  Many Emacs developers don't read this
> forum, so they will never see your report.

Also no answer from them yet, so I tried here in the newsgroup.

> What Emacs is trying to tell you is that when it tried to load
> file.el, it found that file to be more than 128MB, the maximum size of
> a buffer Emacs can handle.  What you need to figure out is how come
> files.el, which is only about 170KB, causes Emacs to think it's much
> larger.

I put an strace into the Makefile, and see that it normally opens a file,
writes Loading... and then reads.  But on the last one, it successfully
opens the file, closes it, yet writes Loading... and then  then goes and
opens and closes it again.

I write "the last one", because each time when I byte-compile it, I get one
file further.  But this is no good, because 21.1, which I'm using to byte
compile gives some error messages.

coralament / best Grötens / liebe Grüße / best regards / elkorajn salutojn
Daniel Pfeiffer

-- GPL 3: take the wind out of Palladium's sails! --
 ------
  -- My other stuff here too, sawfish, make.pl...: --
   ------
    -- http://dapfy.bei.t-online.de/ --