Re: build: Maximum buffer size exceeded

From: Daniel Pfeiffer
Subject: Re: build: Maximum buffer size exceeded
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 00:42:55 +0100

"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@is.elta.co.il> skribis:
> > From: Daniel Pfeiffer <occitan@esperanto.org>
> > Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> > Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 13:46:18 +0100
> >
> > > First, please note that reporting failures to build here is not
> > > recommended: you should either report them on bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> >
> > Doesn't seem to be working currently.  I recently got two mails back with:
> > host mx10.gnu.org [199.232.76.166]: 550 Invalid address in message header
>
> Something is wrong with the way you sent that message, or maybe there
> was a temporary outage at gnu.org.  The address I mentioned is correct
> and works for me.

It has worked for me too, before.

> > > (for released versions of Emacs), or to emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org (for
> > > CVS and pretest versions).  Many Emacs developers don't read this
> > > forum, so they will never see your report.
> >
> > Also no answer from them yet, so I tried here in the newsgroup.
>
> I don't remember I saw your message in emacs-pretest-bug (so perhaps
> resend), but in any case, you should not expect a response too soon:
> some developers are busy and don't reply immediately.  Please be
> patient.

May the Tao be with me :-)

> > > What Emacs is trying to tell you is that when it tried to load
> > > file.el, it found that file to be more than 128MB, the maximum size of
> > > a buffer Emacs can handle.  What you need to figure out is how come
> > > files.el, which is only about 170KB, causes Emacs to think it's much
> > > larger.
> >
> > I put an strace into the Makefile, and see that it normally opens a file,
> > writes Loading... and then reads.  But on the last one, it successfully
> > opens the file, closes it, yet writes Loading... and then  then goes and
> > opens and closes it again.
>
> Did you look at files.el?  Is there any garbage in it?  What is its
> size as reported by `ls'?

Yes I had, and like I'd said, by byte compiling lisp sources, the problem
comes at a later spot.  In the meantime I've byte-compiled everything, but
it still doesn't get through.

I suppose somehow the max must be less than those 128 Mb, but I don't know
where to look.  Any clue?

coralament / best Grötens / liebe Grüße / best regards / elkorajn salutojn
Daniel Pfeiffer

-- GPL 3: take the wind out of Palladium's sails! --
 ------
  -- My other stuff here too, sawfish, make.pl...: --
   ------
    -- http://dapfy.bei.t-online.de/ --