Re: minimal system requirements

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: minimal system requirements
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 07:35:21 +0100

Cyprian Laskowski <swagbelly@yahoo.com> writes:

> I will be moving to Japan for a while and my friend has an old laptop
> which he's offered to give me with the following basic specs: Pentium
> 75, 24 MB RAM, and 540 MB harddrive.
>
> I'd like to install a debian linux system on it with X, and pretty
> much nothing else (although it would also be great to have LaTeX and
> ghostscript, but I think that's pushing it).

I think the X11 will be the big problem.  Hm.  24MB of RAM.  That's
really really small.

It will be much easier to get LaTeX to run in that environment than X.

I used to use X with 32 MB and it wasn't fun.  I used the Ion window
manager to avoid excessive swapping, but it was still easy for the
laptop to swap.  Hm.  But there is a Tiny-X or somesuch howto, maybe
that helps.
--
A turnip curses Elvis