Re: changing default indent for C++

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: changing default indent for C++
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 07:41:57 +0100

Jonathon Isaac Swiderski <jonswid@umich.edu> writes:

> On Sun, 9 Feb 2003, exits funnel wrote:
>
>> The default indentation is four spaces.  I'd desparately like to change
>> it to two.
>
> Funny, i thought it was 8, which is why I have a command to change it to 4.
> But I digress.
>
> I have it set from M-x customize, so I'm not entirely sure how to set it
> directly in your .emacs; you can, however, do the following:
>
> M-x customize-variable RET tab-width RET

The variable tab-width does not change the behavior of the TAB key,
it just changes the way the tab characters look.

It goes like this: user hits TAB.  Major mode determines number of
columns to indent, based on syntactic indentation.  Variable
indent-tabs-mode determines whether tab characters are used at all.
If so, variable tab-width determines how many tabs are necessary to
reach the specified column.
--
A turnip curses Elvis