Re: Checking Process Status

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Checking Process Status
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 13:47:18 -0700

Jay Belanger wrote:

Kevin Rodgers <kevin.rodgers@ihs.com> writes:
CarlC wrote:
Understood. My concern is that this routine is going to possibly open a new
buffer, and change point. I didn't want the user to wander around during the
compile and then have emacs zap him a new screen. I will take your advice
into consideration.

Then force M-x compile to run the command synchronously:

(fmakunbound 'start-process)

If I try that here (not with M-x compile), I get the message
"Multi-processing is not supported for this system"
(RedHat 8.0 with CVS emacs)

That is one of the undesirable consequences I alluded to.

I have problem slightly similar to CarlC's, though.
I need a program to stop at a certain point, and wait until a
comint-process gives some output, and then and only then continue.
(Also, the user shouldn't be able to move the point...)
I thought accept-process-output would do that, but that doesn't seem
to work.  What should work?

Is a nil TIMEOUT interpreted by accept-process-output as 0 or infinity?  If
it's 0, try specifying a really large value (like most-positive-fixnum), or
calling it in a loop.