function BUG - workaround in 20.4, none in 21.3, help!

From: Jeff W
Subject: function BUG - workaround in 20.4, none in 21.3, help!
Date: 11 Feb 2003 15:19:51 -0800

Hi - in 20.4, the function edt-bind-gold-key is defined as

(edt-bind-gold-key KEY GOLD-BINDING &optional DEFAULT)

If you use the optional argument and define it as true.  This works.
However, in 21.3, the function was redefined without the optional
argument.  That's ok, except that when you use this function in EITHER
20.4 or 21.3 with only 3 arguments, it fails with the message

Error in init file: Wrong type argument: keymapp, edt-user-gold-map.
(same error in both versions).

Anyone know how I can make this work?  We're moving to 21.3 sitewide
(Linux) and if I can't fix this I'm hosed.

Thanks!
/j